4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 butternut squash (about 2 ½ pounds)
1 ½ cup Gruyere or Swiss cheese, grated
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon butter melted butter.
- Peel the squash, then cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Slice each half into ¼ inch slices.
- Combine the cheeses and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Arrange half the squash in the bottom of the buttered baking dish and sprinkle half of the cheese on top. Layer the remaining squash on top and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Pour the cream evenly over squash and cheese.
- Melt the remaining 3 Tbs of butter and toss with the Panko crumbs in a bowl. Sprinkle Panko crumbs over the top layer of cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 35-45 minutes until the squash is soft when pierced by a fork. Remove the foil and continue to cook until the breadcrumbs have browned, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately or refrigerate and warm in the oven before serving.