4 lobster tails (uncooked), about 7 ounce each or 4 whole lobsters (uncooked), about 1 ¼ pound each
Note: Hard-shelled lobsters have more meat per pound, soft-shelled lobster meat is sweeter.
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 stick butter, melted for serving
- To steam the lobsters, fill a large stock pot with 2 inches of water. Add 2 teaspoons of kosher salt. Cover and bring the water to a boil.
- Put the lobsters into the pot and cover. Steam for 20 minutes.
- When the lobster has steamed for 20 minutes, remove them immediately from the pot and let cool until you can handle them. Break open the tails and remove the meat in one piece. Remove the rest of the lobster meat and add the meat to your meal or reserve for another use.
- Lobster roll with butter: Here is a classic New England lobster roll recipe. Note that the lobster meat should be cooked before sautéing in the butter.
- Serve the lobster meat on top of salad greens, cooked rice, cooked pasta, or steamed spinach. Drizzle with melted butter and fresh lemon wedges.