2 slices hearty peasant bread
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fig jam (any jam or chutney will work)
2-3 ounces mozzarella, cheddar, or both, cut into thin slices
1 tablespoon shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- While the skillet is heating, spread each slice of bread with a thin layer of mayonnaise-this will be the outside of the sandwich.
- On the other side, spread the Dijon mustard and then the fig jam.
- Place the cheeses on the fig side of the bread. Place the top slice on (fig side down) and put the sandwich into the heated skillet. Cook for 3 to 6 minutes, until cheese starts to melt. Flip and let cook 1 to 2 more minutes on the other side, until golden brown. If the cheese is not melted to your liking, lower the heat and cover the sandwich, flipping it over a few times.
- Remove the cooked sandwich from the pan. Cut and serve hot.