3-pound boneless pork roast or pork loin (not pork tenderloin)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed
1 16-ounce jar roasted red pepper, drained
8 ounces feta, crumbled
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
Salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, avocado oil, pork fat, or coconut oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Butterfly the pork loin to a thickness of ½ inch so that it looks like a tri-fold brochure. Lay the butterflied loin with the fat side facing down. Spread the minced garlic on the surface of the pork.
- To prepare the filling, squeeze the thawed spinach of excess water and place into a large bowl. Roughly chop the drained roasted peppers and add to the spinach. Add the crumbled feta, chopped parsley, and oil. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon ground pepper. Evenly combine all the stuffing ingredients. Spoon the mixture onto the pork loin and cover the entire surface of the loin.
- Carefully roll the loin towards the end that has the fat facing down so that the fat is exposed when complete.
- Cut 5 pieces of twine 18-inches long. Tie the stuffed loin with twine so that the loin is firmly held together.
- In a small bowl combine the chopped rosemary with 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of ground pepper. Coat the loin with the seasoning and press into the meat.
- In a large ovenproof sauté pan, heat 2 Tbs of olive oil until hot, but not smoking. Place the stuffed pork loin into the pan fat side down and sear until browned. Turn the pork over and place the pan into preheat oven and cook until a meat thermometer reads 140 degrees, or about 40-45 minutes. Remove the loin from the oven tent with foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- How to butterfly a pork loin roast – with the fat side of the roast up, use a long sharp boning or serrated knife and cut horizontally lengthwise into the roast. Do not cut through, stop cutting about 1/2 to 1 inch short of the edge. Open the roast like a book.