2 tablespoons olive oil
4 shallots or 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
4 garlic cloves, chopped
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon dried oregano
Optional: 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced thinly and/or 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 14-ounce can white beans, drained
1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained
1 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes, torn by hand. Juices reserved.
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups kale, ribs removed, and greens cut into ribbons
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups cubed artisan bread-onion focaccia if you have it
½ cup parmesan cheese
- Heat an 8-quart soup pot over medium heat with olive oil and sliced shallots or onions. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and oregano. Continue cooking until the garlic and onions begin to turn lightly golden.
- Add the broth, drained beans, torn tomatoes, tomato juices, kale ribbons. Bring the soup to a quick boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30-45 minutes.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add the cubes of bread and toss to coat with olive oil. Toast until browned and crisp. Remove the croutons to paper towels to cool.
- Serve the Ribollita in bowls with croutons and a healthy sprinkling of parmesan cheese.