1 cup white vinegar, rice vinegar, or red wine vinegar
⅓ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon loose leaf hibiscus tea (or 2 tea bags). See other tea options below.
1 package 8½ inch spring roll wrappers
4 ounces thin rice noodles or 1 package Shirataki noodles (rinsed well and drained)
2 cups shredded carrots
2 cups shaved red cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced snow peas
3 chopped scallions
¼ cup roughly chopped mint leaves
15 thinly sliced basil leaves (Thai basil or sweet basil)
¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 cup edible flower petals (rose, violet, calendula, chive, pansy)
To prepare the dipping sauce:
Combine the vinegar, sugar, and crushed red pepper in a saucepan and bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar, about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the tea leaves. Steep for 5 minutes then strain the tea leaves from the sauce and set aside to cool.
Prepare the noodles according to the package and run under cold water to cool. Combine the noodles, vegetables, herbs and flower petals in a bowl and toss gently.
To assemble the summer rolls you will need to soften the rice papers.
- Pour 1 cup of cool water into a pie plate. Place one rice paper into the water until it is soft and pliable, about 30 seconds. Move the softened rice paper onto a clean cutting board.
- Place a handful of the noodle/vegetable filling onto the center of the rice paper. Lift the edge of the wrapper closest to you over the top of the filling. Fold up each side and then roll into a tight log. Set aside and repeat to prepare remaining summer rolls. Serve with dipping sauce on the side. Store the summer rolls in a dish or , cover with a slightly damp paper towel and refrigerate until serving.
- Store the summer rolls in a dish or plastic container that’s roomy enough to hold them without their touching. Place a damp paper towel in the bottom of the container to keep the rolls moist. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Tea options: jasmine, lemon, chai.
- Any combination of shredded vegetables and leafy greens can be used. I like shredded zucchini, raw shredded beets, pea tendrils, sprouts etc.
- Shredded chicken, smoked turkey, or cooked shrimp can be added.