2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 small onion-about 1 cup, diced
1 carrot-about 1 cup, diced small
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
3 ripe pears-divided (Bartlett, Anjou, or Bosc)
4-5cups vegetable or chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons sour cream stirred with 2 teaspoons water
- In a heavy bottomed soup pot add the butter, onions, and carrot and cook over medium-low heat until the onions are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Peel the pears. Cut 2 of the pears into 1-inch pieces; these will be cooked with the soup. Cut 1 pear into small dice to be used as garnish.
- Add the ginger and turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the squash, pears (all but 1 cup reserved for garnish), and stock. Raise the heat and bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or standing blender. Add more stock if a thinner soup is preferred.
- Ladle the soup in bowls, drizzle each serving with the sour cream and top with some of the reserved chopped pears. Serve hot.