1 bundle Soba Noodles
1 Tbs sesame oil
6 cups vegetable, chicken, or beef stock
1 inch piece fresh ginger, sliced thinly or chopped fine
1 garlic clove, sliced thinly or chopped fine
2 Tbs soy sauce or Bragg’s Aminos
2 Tbs Oyster Sauce
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 small bok choy, white parts separated and sliced. Greens chopped and set aside.
1/4 lb per person- cooked protein chicken, pork, sirloin, shrimp, scallops or other fish. Tofu cut into cubes. Hard or soft cooked eggs. Korean meatballs-recipe below.
- Cook the soba noodles according to package directions (about 5 minutes). Drain well, rinse with cold water and drizzle with sesame oil. Divide the noodles between the bowls.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the stock, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce, mushrooms, bok choy (white parts and leaves), and tofu, if using. Heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide the soup over the noodles and top each serving with cooked protein of your choice and any extras you'd like to add. Serve the soup hot and offer lime and sriracha sauce at the table.
Extras if you like:
Kale or spinach, sliced
Snow peas, sliced thinly
Scallions, sliced thin on the bias
Thai basil or sweet basil, sliced thinly
1 lime, quartered
Korean Style Meatballs
1pound ground beef, preferably short rib and chuck
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
¼ cup chopped scallion
¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley
2 teaspoons grated ginger
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large egg, beaten
⅓ cup dry breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine salt, black pepper, sesame oil, vinegar, scallion, cilantro, ginger, soy sauce and garlic in the bowl of a food processer. Process until blended.
- Combine the ground beef with the seasoning. Add the egg and breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Form the meat mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls and arrange on baking sheet. Place in a lightly oiled baking pan and put into the oven. Cook 15 minutes.