1 bundle Soba Noodles
1 Tbs sesame oil
6 cups vegetable, chicken, or beef stock
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced thinly or chopped fine
1 garlic clove, sliced thinly or chopped fine
2 Tbs soy sauce or Bragg’s Aminos
2 Tbs Oyster Sauce
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly (cremini, white button, shiitake, oyster, enoki)
2 small bok choy, chopped
Korean meatballs-recipe below
2 Scallions, sliced thin on the bias
2 Tbs sesame seeds
12 leaves Thai or Italian sweet basil sliced thinly
½ bunch Cilantro leaves and stems chopped
1 lime, quartered
- Cook the soba noodles according to package directions (about 5 minutes). Drain well, rinse with cold water, and drizzle with sesame oil. Divide the noodles between 4 soup bowls.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the stock, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce, mushrooms, and bok choy (white parts and leaves). Heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide the soup over the noodles and top each serving with 4-5 cooked Korean meatballs and any extras you'd like to add. Serve the soup hot and offer lime and sriracha sauce at the table.
Korean Style Meatballs
1pound ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
¼ cup chopped scallion
¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley
2 teaspoons ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large egg, beaten
⅓ cup dry breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine salt, black pepper, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, scallion, cilantro, ginger, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Process until blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef with the seasoning, egg, and breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Form the meat mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls and arrange on a baking sheet. Place in a lightly oiled baking pan and put into the oven. Cook for 15 minutes. Serve hot.