8 cups of chicken stock (see Liz's recipe for Homemade Chicken Stock)
**directions for using store bought stock include in instructions. I like "Better Than Bullion" chicken base
1 large carrot (about 1 cup), diced
1 medium yellow onion (about 1 cup), diced
2 medium celery stalks (about 1 cup), diced
2-3 cups cooked, chicken-shredded
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, flat-leaf parsley, or other fresh herbs, to finish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using an 8 quart soup pot, combine the stock, carrots, onions, and celery. Bring to a boil and then immediately lower the heat so the soup is bubbling gently. Cook for 20 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Add the shredded chicken and fresh herbs and continue to cook for 5 minutes to heat the chicken and to release the aromatics from the herbs.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or let cool to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze.
For chicken vegetable soup add:
- 1 cup broccoli or cauliflower florets-add 10 minutes before the soup is done cooking.
- 1 cup frozen peas-add with shredded chicken
- 1 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed-squeeze out the extra water before adding to soup- add with shredded chicken
For chicken soup w/matzo balls:
- Follow the recipe on the package of Matzo Meal. I often freeze the soup w/the matzo balls in it.
- Cook 4-6 oz of egg noodles separately and add to soup bowls and then pour hot soup over to serve. Alternatively, add uncooked egg noodles to the cooked soup and cook until the noodles are tender, 5-8 minutes.