2 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves garlic, sliced
2 ounces anchovy fillets, drained or anchovy paste
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped- divide out 2 tablespoons for garnish
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can cannellini beans with liquid
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
A few grinds black pepper
3 Tbs capers, rinsed and chopped
1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped- divide out 2 tablespoons for garnish
- Heat a soup pot over medium-low heat with the oil, garlic, anchovies, and crushed pepper. Sauté the mixture until anchovies melt into the oil and completely dissolve and garlic is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the olives tomatoes, beans (with their liquid), and stock. Heat until soup comes to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer 15-30 minutes depending on how much time you have.
- Stir in the chopped capers and parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- To make the garnish, combine the reserved chopped olives and parsley in a small bowl.
- Ladle the soup into large bowls and serve with the garnish on top of each.
- Cook up some sausage. Slice the cooked sausage and sear in the soup pot with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Remove and set aside. Add to the cooked soup and cook to heat through. You can also sauté up sausage meat and add to the cooked meat.
- Add raw, peeled and deveined shrimp to the soup in the last 10 minutes of cooking.