1 cup olive oil or avocado oil
1/3 cup or more vinegar – unfiltered apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar, or balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1-2 slices artisan bread, cut into ½ inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 pieces thick-cut bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
2 cups (per person) mixed greens
1-2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
1-2 teaspoons fresh parsley or mint, chopped
2-4 large eggs-depending on how many eggs you would like per salad
1 Tbs vinegar-plain, distilled (apple cider or red vinegar will work if you don’t have white)
Freshly ground pepper
- To prepare the vinaigrette: Combine the ingredients in a bottle and shake well. Taste and add more vinegar (a teaspoon or two at a time) to taste. Your vinaigrette can be kept on the counter. Season your salad with salt and pepper after you toss it with the vinaigrette.
- To prepare the croutons: Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the bread cubes and gently toss to coat the cubes in the oil. Cook, moving the cubes occasionally until browned and crisp. Sprinkle with a little salt, cool on a plate.
- Using the same pan you prepared the croutons in, cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until well browned. Remove from the pan and place on paper towels to drain.
- To poach the eggs: fill a wide, straight-sided sauté pan with water (2 ½-3 inches) and add 1 tablespoon vinegar. Heat the water to a gentle simmer.
- Break each egg into a teacup. Slide 1 egg into simmering liquid. If the whites begin to spread, gently push white around the yolk with a slotted spoon. Add remaining eggs in the same manner.
- Simmer the eggs 3-4 minutes. If cooking in batches or ahead of serving time, place the cooked eggs into a pan of lukewarm water until serving time. To warm up the eggs, place in a pan of simmering water for 30 seconds or microwave for 15 seconds.
- To serve: Add the croutons to the salad greens and toss with just enough vinaigrette to lightly coat the salad. Season the salad with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss well and divide among plates.
- Place 1-2 poached eggs onto each salad and garnish with the bacon. Serve immediately.
For vinaigrette variations check out Liz’s Vinaigrette
How to poach eggs-Video