1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
**4 cups, about 1/2 small loaf of Artisan bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 1/2 pounds heirloom tomatoes-variety of colors, cherry tomatoes, large tomatoes-cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large red pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup Liz's Vinaigrette or to taste
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced, or scallions, chives
10 large basil leaves, cut thinly
1 ½ tablespoons capers, drained
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Add the bread and salt and cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently until the bread is toasted and brown. Add more oil as needed.
- Place the toasted bread into a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, red pepper, and 1/2 cup of Liz's Vinaigrette. Toss well to coat and let the salad rest for about 15 minutes.
- Add the sliced onion, basil leaves, and capers and toss again. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
- You can reduce your carbs in this dish by reducing the amount of bread.
- Substitute some of the bread with other vegetables-cucumbers, blanched broccoli or green beans.
- Reduce the bread and add a protein-lobster, chicken, sausage, bacon, scallops, etc.