⅔ cup whole milk
⅔ cup water
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons additional melted butter (for the pan)
1 cup mixed fresh herbs- choose your combination: dill, parsley, mint, chive, scallion. Wild edibles from the garden: violet leaves, wild garlic grass, creeping Jenny, small dandelion leaves
1 cup ricotta cheese-whole fat
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, zested
salt and pepper to taste
For garnish-edible flowers: violets, chive flowers, pansies, day lilies, rose petals
- Place milk, water, eggs, and melted butter in a blender and mix until smooth. Add the flour and salt, a little at a time, mixing as you go and scraping down the sides of the jar as needed. This will help to keep flour from clumping. The batter will be thin.
- Heat an 8-inch crepe pan or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, brush very lightly with melted butter. While tilting the pan in a circle, laddle the batter in to cover the surface with the batter. If using a 10-inch pan, prepare crepes with 1/3 cup of batter.
- Sprinkle the batter with the herbs while the batter is still wet. Cook for 30-45 seconds. Using a crepe turner or rubber spatuala, turn the crepe over and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove the crepe and place on a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining batter. Cooled crepes can be stacked if needed.
- Add the ricotta cheese, extra virgin olive oil and lemon zest and combine using a food processor or immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of whipped ricotta onto the crepe. Fold in half and then fold in half again. Serve sprinkled with chopped herbs and some edible flowers if you have them.
- Add smoked salmon or smoked trout to your crepe for a special brunch dish.
- Fill with steamed asparagus and drizzle with a hollandaise sauce or pesto.
- Add 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella and 1/4 cup grated parmesan to the whipped ricotta. Fill your crepes and place in a buttered baking dish or cover with tomato sauce and bake.
- Prepare the whipped ricotta w/ the mozzarella and parmesan as above. Stack your crepes with a thin spreading of whipped ricotta between the layers. Serve as is or baked until warmed through.
Williams Sonoma has a good selection of crepe equipment. www.williams-sonoma.com/search/results.html?words=crepe