1 cup sugar (honey can be used instead of sugar)
1 cup water
1 cup mint
- Combine the sugar and water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the mint leaves. Cool to room temperature. Strain and discard the mint leaves.
- Add to a drink to taste.
- Store your syrup in the refrigerator in a covered jar or squeeze bottle. Store for up to 2 weeks.
Variations: Prepare as above using different herbs
- Basil syrup- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- Lavender syrup- 1 tablespoon lavender petals (not leaves)
- Chamomile syrup- 1 cup of chamomile flowers-use flowers that have just opened
- Rosemary syrup- 1 tablespoon leaves
- Lemon verbena syrup- 1/2 cup leaves
- Cilantro syrup- 1 cup leaves and stems
- Lilac syrup- 2 cups flowers-use flowers that have just opened