1-pint grape tomatoes
½-1/3 cup black olives packed in oil
1 lemon, 1/2 cut into thin rounds and the remaining 1/2 left intact, for serving
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 (6- to 8-ounce) block feta, whole or cut into 1-inch slices
½ cup fresh cilantro or parsley leaves and fine stems, roughly chopped (optional)
Serve with artisan bread or crackers
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees with a rack set in the lower third.
- On a sheet pan, combine the tomatoes, olives, and lemon slices with the olive oil and toss. Add cumin and red-pepper flakes, season with salt and pepper, and toss again until evenly coated. Nestle the feta into the center of the vegetables. Roast 15 to 20 minutes. If you want a little charring on top, put under the broiler for a few minutes
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with the remaining lemon half for squeezing. Top with fresh herbs, if using.
- Instead of feta use tofu or a firm fish (salmon, swordfish, scrod).
- Add canned chick peas and thinly sliced fennel.
- Add broccoli, asparagus, peppers, or other veg and serve as a meal.
- Instead of cumin use smoked paprika or rosemary.
- When cooked, combine all of the ingredients and toss with pasta and serve hot or cold.