¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
4 beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes ( to save time, you can purchase Loves cooked beets from the produce section at your grocery store.
2-4 ounces baby arugula or other salad greens-radicchio or shaved red cabbage would be beautiful too!
¼ of small red onion, sliced thinly
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds or chopped pistachios
- Put the vinegar and olive oil in a jar with a cover. Shake to combine.
- Heat oven to 400° F. Place cut beets into pan or in a casserole dish, drizzle with a bit of oil, add a splash of water, cover with foil and roast until tender (about 45 minutes). Cool. If using already cooked beets, cut them into cubes and put them under the broiler and cook until they brown up a bit-about 5-8 minutes.
- Place the beets in a large mixing bowl. Toss with half of the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the arugula in a separate bowl and toss it with enough vinaigrette to moisten. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the arugula on a serving platter or individual plates and then arrange the beets, red onion slices, and pumpkin seeds on top. Serve.
Note: this salad is wonderful with warm beets too!
Orange segments-add on top to keep the color bright.
Feta, cheddar cheese curds, or goat cheese-use as garnish
Cooked shrimp, scallops, steak, or lamb