The coconut peanut sauce is my new favorite. I discovered a delicious peanut sauce recipe at greencitygrowers.com. I made a few changes and added a can of coconut milk to their recipe to create a version that I use with so many recipes. Massage it into chopped kale, drizzle it over chicken and rice, and serve it with steamed broccoli. Enjoy!
No-Cook Spring Rolls with Dipping Sauces
1 package 8 ½ inch rice spring roll wrappers
2 large carrots, shredded
½ head of red cabbage, shredded
1 red pepper, chopped thinly
3 scallions, sliced thinly
2 Tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped roughly
2 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips (Thai basil or sweet basil)
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped roughly
Optional: soaked rice noodles can be added to filling
1. To soften the rice papers pour 2 cups of cool water into a pie plate.
2. Put one piece of rice paper in the water and turn over until soft and pliable. Place the softened rice paper onto a clean cutting board.
3. Place a small amount of the cooled noodles on the rice paper in the center. Sprinkle some of the carrot, red cabbage, red pepper, and herb mixture onto the noodles.
4. Lift the edge of the paper closest to you over the top of the rice. Fold up each side and then roll the rice into a tight log. Set aside and repeat.
5. Serve with dipping sauces.
Tea Dipping Sauce
1 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 pinch crushed red pepper
1 Tbs loose leafed flavored tea (jasmine, raspberry, orange spice)
1. Combine the vinegar, sugar, red pepper, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Remove the sauce from the heat and add the tealeaves to steep for 5 minutes. Strain the tea leaves cool to serve.
Coconut Peanut Sauce
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2-3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons avocado oil or peanut oil
1/3 cup unsweetened peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
7 ounces canned coconut milk
Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.