1 stick butter-salted or unsalted
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon espresso powder
3 large eggs
1 cup raw sugar (or ½ cup granulated sugar and ½ cup brown sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon coarse salt or flaked salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8x8-inch pan with foil. Brush lightly with neutral oil or melted butter and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. When melted, stir in the cocoa powder and espresso powder until well combined. Remove from the heat of the stove to allow to cool a bit.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs well. Add the sugar slowly while whisking. The eggs should thicken up as you whisk. The whisking is pushing air into the eggs.
- Add the chocolate mixture slowly while continuing to whisk.
- Stir in the flour and vanilla. Stir just enough to incorporate. Over mixing at this point will flatten the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the coarse salt. Place the pan into the oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Test with a toothpick. It should come out clean. If needed, add a few more minutes to the baking time. Remove from the oven and let cool. I love these brownies warm, but you should serve them as you like.