How to make your own low-carb cocktail
- Straight spirits have 0 carbs. When mixing low-carb alcoholic drinks, stick with unsweetened, unflavored liquors, like brandy, whiskey, rum, vodka, gin, and tequila. Infused flavors from botanicals are fine (and encouraged), but stay away from added flavorings and sweeteners.
- Do not use sweetened mixers like tonic water, sodas, and juices. Choose soda water, seltzer water, or sparkling water, and add a squeeze of a fresh lemon or lime wedge. Brewed teas are a flavorful option as mixers. Muddle berries, cucumber, and herbs like mint, cilantro, or basil. You can also add a little fruit juice if you like.
- Try high fat with your mixers. Heavy cream and canned coconut milk are two options you can use to give your cocktail body. Egg whites are also a good choice to add frothiness to your drinks.
4 mint leaves
2-3 ounces Gin- this is the time to be picky with your gin. Use a gin with botanical, floral, or herbal notes- Hendrick's Gin, Uncle Val's Botanical Gin are perfect.
In a tall glass, muddle the cucumber and mint in the bottom. Pour in the gin. add ice and top with soda water. Finish with a squeeze of lime.
Low-Carb White Russian
2 oz vodka
2 oz heavy cream or canned coconut milk (blend coconut cream well first)
Dark chocolate shavings for garnish
Fill a rocks glass with ice. Pour coffee and vodka into glass and stir gently. Pour heavy cream over top and serve with chocolate shavings.
Golden Milk Cocktail
Prepare the Golden Milk and drink it without the rum for a delicious and anti-inflammatory drink before bed. Serve it chilled or hot if you like. Add the rum to create a tasty cocktail.
1 can coconut milk (full fat) Thai Kitchen is my favorite
1/4 Tsp. ground turmeric
1 pinch of black pepper (helps for your body to absorb the turmeric)
1/2 Tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp honey
pinch of salt
4 oz. of spiced or dark rum
Cinnamon for garnish
- Combine coconut milk, turmeric, black pepper, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and gently heat until coconut milk and honey have melted and the milk has turned bright yellow. Take off of the heat, strain through a fine mesh strainer, and cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Add rum to a cocktail shaker and then pour turmeric milk in along with 5-6 ice cubes and shake until thoroughly chilled.
- Pour over crushed ice and sprinkle with cinnamon.