2 quarts water
1 cup pearl barley
1 Tbs dried lavender*
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 Tbs honey, or to taste
1. Place water in a heavy pot with the barley and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes turn off the heat. Add the lavender and steep for 5 minutes.
4. Strain the barley tea into a container and set barley aside for use in a salad.
5. Mix in the lemon juice and honey, stirring well. Let the lemonade cool and refrigerate until chilled. Serve well chilled over ice.
· Any flavored loose leafed tea may be substituted.
· Use frozen lemonade if you’d like instead of the lemon juice and honey.
· Add soda water for a refreshing fizz.
· Use cooked barley for breakfast, a grain and vegetable salad, or as a substitute for cooked rice.