1/2 cup chopped garlic scapes
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 large garlic clove
8 cups loosely packed arugula
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons almonds, sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds
1 pinch red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- To make the pesto, put the garlic scapes in the bowl of a food processor. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, arugula, parmesan, nuts or seeds, red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste. Pulse everything until it's finely chopped, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- With the food processor running, add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream and process until everything is blended into a paste. Taste and add more salt, black pepper, or lemon juice, if needed.
- Transfer the pesto to a container and refrigerate for up to 10 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Variations and uses:
- Instead of arugula, use spinach or a combination of spinach and basil.
- Use as a spread for toast-add a few fried eggs on top!
- Whisk with eggs and scramble.
- Use with pasta.
- Spread on chicken, pork, or steak.
- Toss with summer roasted or grilled vegetables.