2-3 medium green tomatoes (unripe, cut into 1/4 inch slices)
½ cup flour
1 cup Panko crumbs
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt-sea salt, mineral salt
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
Avocado oil spray (or other non-seed oil spray)
- Pre-heat air fryer to 400ºF.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs. Place the flour on a plate.
- In a wide shallow container, combine the Panko crumbs, cornmeal, and the seasoning.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with a little salt. Dip the tomato slices in the flour, dip in egg mixture, and then press Panko crumb mixture into both sides. Sprinkle a little more salt on them.
- Spray the air fryer basket generously with avocado spray, and place as many coated tomatoes in the basket that will fit with plenty of space in between. Spray coated tomatoes with additional avocado spray to lightly coat.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Repeat with remaining tomatoes.
- Serve hot.
Serve with a dipping sauce. Serve in a sandwich. Top with fried or poached eggs.
To fry: In a deep 12-inch skillet heat 1 inch avocado oil to 350-360°F. Fry in batches to avoid over crowding the pan. Fry for 4-5 minutes total, gently turning as needed until golden.
To oven cook: Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cook coated tomatoes for 20 minutes, If you have a convection setting, be sure to use it!