8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60-70% cacao), chopped, chips are fine to use also
¼ cup strong coffee or espresso
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3 egg yolks
½ cup heavy cream or whipping cream
3 egg whites
¼ cup sugar
- Fill a saucepan 1/3 full of water. Bring to a gentle simmer. Place the chopped chocolate and the coffee into a heatproof bowl or double boiler. Place the bowl on top of the pan (make sure the bowl does not touch the water). Melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally to combine. Remove the bowl from the heat.
- Whisk the soft butter into the melted chocolate until smooth. One by one, whisk in the egg yolks. Set aside to cool.
- By hand or with a mixer, whip the cream into soft peaks. Set aside. Wash the whip if using to mix egg whites.
- In a clean bowl, whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. While whipping, sprinkle in the sugar and continue to whip until stiff shining peaks are formed.
- Add the cooled chocolate mixture down the side of the whipped egg white bowl, and delicately fold them together. When almost blended fold in the whipped cream.
- Spoon the mousse into a single serving bowl, individual cups, or glasses. Cover and chill for 2-4 hours, or overnight. The mousse will keep refrigerated for 2-3 days.