4 cups hot water
1 teaspoon salt
4 Tbs unsalted butter (or more if you like)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
kosher salt and ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the polenta, hot water, and salt in a 8X8 pan or other 2 quart baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the liquid is almost absorbed and the polenta is creamy when stirred. Remove from the oven.
- Stir in the butter and the parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot or refrigerate for later use.
- If you’d like a firm polenta for grilling, frying, or as an hors d’oeurves leave the polenta in the serving dish until the polenta is firm and cool, about 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. When firm, turn polenta out onto a cutting board and cut into squares, triangles, or use a cookie cutter and cut into shapes.
- To Grill: Brush polenta pieces with olive oil. Grill as desired.
- To Fry: Heat butter in a sauté pan and fry pieces until light brown on both sides. Serve hot.