Makes about 1 ½ cups
2 avocados-fully ripe
¼ to 1/3 cup fresh herbs (basil, mint, parsley, cilantro, tarragon- choose one or combine a few)
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon or lime juice or more to taste
1/4 cup cold water or more if needed if sauce is too thick
- Add the flesh from the ripe avocados to a bowl.
- Roughly chop the herbs.
- Add the chopped herbs, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, and vinegar.
- Process using a food processor or immersion blender until smooth. Add the water if the sauce is too thick.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed.
For Pasta Sauce Variations:
- Choose herbs to compliment your pasta dish-basil, parsley, rosemary, and thyme
- Add ¼ to ½ cup grated parmesan to base sauce.
- Add 1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped to the base sauce and process.
- Add 1 cup ricotta and some parmesan cheese to the base sauce and adjust seasoning.
- Add ½ cup chopped pecans or pumpkin seeds
To make a Green Goddess Dressing:
- Add 2/3 cup of sour cream or plain yogurt to the base sauce.
- Choose herbs to compliment your salad-basil, mint, parsley, cilantro, tarragon. Combine herbs if you like.