Source: D.A.R. Cook Book Second Edition
Submitted by: Mrs. Charles Eastman
Location: page 26
One cup sugar, one tablespoonful butter creamed with sugar, add two tablespoonsful flour, juice and grated rind of one lemon, yolks of two eggs beaten, one cup milk. Last add two beaten whites, folded into the mixture. Cook till firm.
This is a lovely tasting lemon pie; not too sweet and not too lemony. The whipped egg whites create a lovely caramelized top layer.
- Use an 8” or 9” pie pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the baking rack in the middle of the oven.
- For the pie crust, I used one disk of my favorite pie dough recipe. Roll out the dough to 14 inches. Place into the pie pan. Roll and crimp the edge.
- When I prepared this recipe I found that the butter and sugar did not cream. That’s okay. I just stirred together the sugar, butter (room temperature), flour, lemon juice, and zest until well combined. Then I added the yolks and milk and combined.
- I used large eggs.
- I used heavy cream instead of milk and I liked the creaminess of the pie. You can use either cream or milk. If using milk, use full fat.
- Whip the egg whites until firm.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove and cool. Serve with whipped cream if you like.