½ -1 cup sugar-depending on sweetness of fruit
1 small grating of freshly ground nutmeg
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1-2 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca (or tapioca flour) if fruit is very juicy
1 recipe double crust pie dough-Recipe here
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 egg white plus 1 tablespoon water, fork beaten
1-2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Put the fruit, sugar, nutmeg, salt, lemon, tapioca or flour in a big bowl and mix lightly until the fruit is well coated.
- Roll out the bottom dough and place in your pie pan.
- Add the fruit filling and dot with the butter.
- Roll out remaining dough, lay over the fruit, and cut 5 to 6 vents on top, or cut strips and make a lattice top. Trim excess dough from edges and crimp.
- Brush crust with some egg wash and sprinkle evenly and lightly with 1-2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F. Reduce heat to 375F and bake for 35-40 minutes more.
- If using frozen fruit, keep the fruit frozen until ready prepare the pie.
- Be sure to taste the fruit and adjust the sugar and seasoning accordingly.
- You can adjust the amounts up or down depending on the size of pan you are using.