Makes one 9-inch shallow pie
½ recipe Art of Pie “Basic Pie Crust”
3 eggs, room temperature
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ cup sugar, brown or granulated
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup chopped walnuts (pecans would be nice too)
- Roll out your dough for a 9” pie pan. Prebake, or “blind bake” the shell. Go here for the “how to” from Kate McDermott. Important tip from Kate-after you fit the pie dough into your pie pan, refrigerate it for 10 minutes before “blind baking”. Line and weight the liner as suggested. Both steps will help to prevent the crust from shrinking while it is baking. Cool completely before filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently whisk the eggs with the salt to combine. DO NOT whip until frothy!
- Add the sugar, melted butter, and maple syrup and stir again. DO NOT froth!
- Place the walnuts evenly in the pre-baked piecrust. Pour the filling over the walnuts.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is set. The filling will puff up a bit when baking. Remove from the oven and let cool. The filling will relax back down as it cools.
- Serve at room temperature. Sore in fridge for up to 5 days. Serve with vanilla ice-cream or homemade whipped cream.