Vanilla Tea Poached Pears
4 Bosc pears
3 Tbs lemon juice
6 cups water
3 Tbs Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla tea leaves (available at The Cozy Tea Cart)
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs corn starch
Whipped cream, 1 quart high quality vanilla bean ice cream, or raspberry gelato
- Peel the pears, cut in half and core them. To prevent the pears from browning before poaching pour 4 cups of cold water and 3 Tbs of lemon juice into a large bowl. Place the pears into the lemon water.
- Bring cold water to a boil in a 4 qt sauce pan. Add the tea and remove the pan from the heat. Steep the tea in the hot water for 10 minutes. Strain the tealeaves and return the tea water to the sauce pan. Add the sugar to the tea flavored water and bring to a full simmer to dissolve the sugar.
- Place the pear halves in the simmering sweetened poaching liquid. Simmer, cooking until the pears can be easily pierced with a fork, 20-25 minutes depending on the ripeness of the pears. Remove the pears from the poaching liquid and place on a plate to cool.
- To make the sauce, bring the poaching liquid to a boil and cook until the liquid is reduced to 1 ½ cups, about 25 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Whisk into the still simmering sauce and continue to cook while stirring for 1 minute. Strain the sauce and let cool.
To Serve: Place two pear halves on a large plate and drizzle with the sauce. Serve with a scoop of whipped cream, ice cream, or gelato.