1 ½ pounds leftover, cooked turkey, finely chopped(or raw ground turkey)
2 teaspoons thyme, dried (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
½ teaspoon allspice
1 pinch nutmeg
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup stock (chicken or beef)
3 cups leftover mashed potatoes or 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
1 cup butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated and divided
salt and pepper
If using leftover turkey:
Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, onions, carrots, garlic, thyme, allspice, and nutmeg until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Proceed to #4
If using raw ground turkey, skip to #2
- Add the meat and seasonings (reserve ½ teaspoon of thyme), and cook until the meat no longer looks pink.
- Add the vegetables and cook for 5 to 7 minutes longer.
- Stir in the tomato paste and stock. Reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In another pot, cover the rutabagas with water and 1 teaspoon of salt and boil until they are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well and put them back into the pot and mash until they are smooth. Add the butter and 2/3 cup of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the meat mixture into a deep-dish pie pan or a large baking dish.
- Cover with the rutabaga mixture and sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup cheese over the top.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425°F and bake for 35 minutes.