Seared Sausage with Tomato Sauce served over Baked Polenta
Sausage and Tomato Sauce
3 Italian sausages
2 Tbs. olive oil
8 cloves of garlic, slivered
1 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes
Pinch of crushed red pepper
2 Tbs fresh basil, sliced thinly
¼ cup flat leafed parsley, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Parmesan cheese for grating
1. Boil the sausages in water until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Slice each sausage in half lengthwise.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat with the oil. When hot, place the sausages into the pan in a single layer, cut side down. Cook until browned.
3. Add the slivered garlic. Sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add the the basil, crushed re pepper, and diced tomatoes with their juice to the sausages. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer while preparing the polenta.
5. Just before serving add the chopped parsley to the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve hot over polenta with freshly grated Parmesan.
1 cup polenta
2 cups hot water
2 cups milk, hot (2% or whole milk)
1 teaspoon salt
4 Tbs unsalted butter (or more if you like)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
kosher salt and ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the polenta, hot water, hot milk, and salt in a 8X8 glass pan or other 2 quart baking dish. Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until the liquid is almost absorbed and the polenta is creamy when stirred.
2. Stir in the butter and the parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot with sausage and tomato sauce.